Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Buddhism and Gaia.

I can't remember the exact moment I knew I would be Buddhist, but I do remember feeling a deep sense of serenity. I knew my path to being a Buddhist would not be easy, especially since my mother was a minister.

The problem was I never believed in a biblical God. I never liked the idea of suffering in this lifetime and not being held accountable except on Sundays.  It also upset me how organized religion was used to oppressed people of color.  And I never thought a loving deity should be feared.

The first book I read about Buddhism was "The Heart of Buddha's Teachings" by Thich Nhat Hanh. It explained the philosophy of Buddhism, and an cessation of suffering.

There are many sects of Buddhism, it's up to the individual and what your beliefs are.  For instance I am Mahayana, but I also believe in aspects of Tibetan Buddhism and reincarnation.  I've had too many past life experiences not to believe in reincarnation. Sometimes I think I am Mahayana only because I've been reincarnated so many times it may be my only chance at enlightenment. 

The Buddha in me was awakened around 23 years ago. It was around that time that I got sober and started to explore religion seriously. Maybe because in A.A. there is a lot of God talk.  I didn't think I could stay sober if I can to believe in a God.  However I did believe in Goddess.

I've always thought God was a woman. When I was a child I had dreams of a woman protecting me. So I studied paganism, and fell in love with the notion of Mother Earth, Gaia. When I became Buddhist I thought I had to let go of Goddess, but Buddha, unlike the Christian God, never said thou shall have no other God before me. So when I pray and meditate it is to Buddha and Gaia.

They both work for me.  In times of trouble I say, "Buddha walk for me". Or "Gaia speak for me".  That way I always come from a place of love and compassion.

Gassho
(meaning I respect the Buddha in you)

1 comment:

  1. In the search of my identity, I become to the path of the Goddess in a less learned manner, I should say. I read this fantasy book 12 years ago , "The Mists Of Avalon", and it really shook me. I wasn't religious nor spiritual, but the idea of me addressing to Goddess instead than to God meant that holiness lived within me. Today I consider myself atheist, but like you, I contemplate the spiritual teachings of the Buddha and the Tao. And I even read the gospels, but without the bias of a religious person, without the zealotry that I sense in many Christian religions (I myself were raised Roman Catholic, so you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete